Fast & efficient estimates with the LMN Estimating Marketplace
Categories are a great way of organizing your Materials and Templates and making them faster to find when estimating. Materials and templates can also belong to more than one category. For instance, a material like gravel might be found in a Paver category, a Natural Stone category, and a Drainage category. You can add a single gravel item so that it shows up in all three categories.
In addition to sorting Materials and Templates, Categories can now apply pricing defaults when adding an item from the Estimating Marketplace. For more information on Category defaults and how they are applied when adding an Item from Estimating Marketplace, click HERE.
To create material categories and apply defaults follow these steps:
- Click the Item Catalog | Categories menu.
- Click the +New button to add a new material category.
- Add your Category name and setup defaults per Category.
- Shipping Factor
- Enter a cost percentage factor for shipping. If shipping charges are typically 5% of the total value of the materials, enter ‘5%’.
- Warranty Factor
- Enter a warranty cost factor as a percentage. If you expect to warranty 3% of your installations, enter ‘3%’.
- Purchase Tax
- If the Purchasing Tax for a Category is different than your defaults taxes, change to appropriate tax.
- Profit Margin
- If you wish a Category to be assigned a profit margin different than your budget default, enter the desired profit margin % here. Your profit should be expressed as a percentage (e.g. 15%) or as a decimal (.15). You can skip this column if you wish everything to be priced according to your budget default profit margin.
- LMN can also create material categories when importing items from an import file. Just add a column called "Category" to your import file. If the category doesn't exist at the time of import, LMN will create one for you. For more information on Material Imports, click HERE.
- Please Note: Only one material category can be assigned per item when importing from files.
- You can Edit or Delete categories using the buttons to the right of that category. Please Note: This action deletes the category name only. Materials assigned to this category will not be deleted.