Arguably irrigation techs deal with the largest amounts of parts on a day to day basis. Tracking inventory effectively is a nightmare.
Spending hundreds of hours a year in both office and field hours to track this information not only is hard to do and frustrating, but it adds to missed opportunity. This is time which could be spent on another job, spreading company overhead over more revenue.
We all know what happens in the field: a tech goes out to replace a head a dog bit off and after all is said and done, the tech has used upwards of 100-200 parts. Rather than trying to price out each part and taking the time needed to get it right about half the time, you might as well charge out flat rates for each type of part repaired (you'll see more below).
Let's start with the job's tasks in LMN Time (to follow along: LMN Time > Jobs (pick or create a job) > clock-in tasks). This will be the list of tasks the tech has as possibilities to clock into when he arrives on site.
Now that we have our tasks set up, let's move over to services (to follow along: instead of clock-in tasks click services).
Once both tasks and services are set up, let's move over to materials (to follow along: instead of services click on materials). Here is the list of parts which will show below every service listed above during clock-out.
Keep it simple. Traditionally, think of how much time is wasted both in the field in the office trying to track down parts and looking at pricing information for billing. With the best intentions, we know how inaccurate everything is with a paper-based, or software system that asks both the tech and the office to manage all of this in a detailed fashion.
With this setup, train your tech to do the following:
- Clock into the irrigation job when arriving on site
- Clock into the task he is tasked with doing (is it a repair call, a startup, a shutdown?)
- Clock out after work has been completed and mark the services and materials used
- Get back into his truck and drive to the next site, or head to the shop to close up and head home!
With this setup, train your office to do the following for billing:
- Go into LMN Time and find billing activity for the jobs the tech completed in the field
- With LMN Basic, manually copy the billing activity via report into QuickBooks (or other accounting software)
- With LMN Pro, simply generate your invoices and sync the completed work to QuickBooks
There's a massive benefit with LMN Pro if you are an LMN Basic user - the fewer numbers the office staff have to process manually for billing, the more accurate and streamlined your billing will be.
If you are already using LMN Time and on LMN Basic, the switch to LMN Pro is extremely easy and holds a ton of value.
Make sure to reach out to us if you are interested in saving even more time and money with a streamlined billing system.