This error occurs when you create a new customer in Quickbooks a certain way.
When you create a new customer in Quickbooks, you'll see tabs that allow you to setup the basic customer info: Address, Payment, Sales Tax, Additional Info.
But there's also a tab called Job Info. If you use this tab to add the name of the job, you will not be able to create any other sub-jobs for this customer. You will only be able to create 1 job. And that's why the error occurs. Once you add a job using this tab, Quickbooks will not allow you to add another sub-jobs - either through LMN, or even manually through Quickbooks.
Don't add jobs to the customer like this:
If you add a job using the Job Info tab like the screenshot above, you will get an error when adding other jobs in Quickbooks even without LMN Sync. Once I save the customer above, then I right click to add another job to this customer, the following error will pop up:
How to create customers/jobs in Quickbooks so that you don't ever get this error.
In order for LMN to be able to create sub-jobs for a customer (and to avoid this error) you must not use the Job tab on the new customer screen. Instead, follow these steps to create a new customer
- Create a new customer using the New Customer button
- Fill out all relevant info, but do not use the Job tab
- Save the new customer
- Right-click the newly added customer and select the Add Job menu option.
- Now you will be able to add any number of sub-jobs
If you're stuck already having created a customer using the job tab, follow these instructions to fix the problem...
- Open your Quickbooks company file
- Open the customer that's giving you the error
- Right-click the customer and chose the Add Job menu option
- When the error screen above comes up, chose the OK button. This will turn the job tab info into an actual sub-job. The customer will no longer have a job tab - all job information will be in the sub-job
Once you've followed these steps, you will now be able to create other sub-jobs for this customer and Quickbooks will no longer throw an error.